Monday, August 6, 2012

He's Here!!!

On Thursday, July 26th, at 6:17pm we welcomed Gresham Luke to the world! 
It was quite a day and one that I will never forget. 
I was pretty discouraged by this point in my pregnancy because I was 11 days overdue. I had no idea the mental and emotional struggle it is to go past your due date! Naomi was two days early so I thought this little guy would definitely be early as well!  I was also getting worried because we were working with a midwife and she is not allowed to deliver beyond 42 weeks. I wanted so badly to go into labor naturally. At 11 days overdue, I was having a hard time believing a natural labor would ever take place.

On Wednesday evening {July 25th}, Peter and I attended our life group and I started to have a few contractions. I didn't want to get my hopes up or anyone else's so I didn't really mention them. 
That night, I went to bed and woke up around 1am to more contractions. I knew I needed to sleep as much as possible if this was the real thing so I slept in between contractions for a few hours. Around 4am, the contractions seemed more intense and they were about 5 minutes apart. I was still so afraid of a false alarm that I still hadn't even told Peter! I finally woke him up and had him page the midwife. Well, for some reason, we weren't paging correctly because we couldn't get a hold of her! But, the contractions seemed to slow down and by 6 am they had died down quite a bit. I was pretty upset because I felt that it must be false labor again! I continued to have contractions off and on, but I wouldn't let Peter tell anyone for fear that this wasn't it! 

My mom packed up some things and took Naomi to a friends house. Peter and I ran some errands. Peter read up on how to coach me through labor (he's a good man). We watched a little TV. I walked up and down our hallway over and over and over to try to keep labor going....the day seemed 
insanely long. 
family photo the morning of July 26th

Finally, around 2:30pm, I asked Peter to call the midwife and ask if she would check if I was dilated at all. I was in tears by this point because I felt like I had been in pre-labor forever. The contractions seemed a little more intense, but they weren't consistent. They would even die off if I sat down. I figured I was dilated to maybe 1 or 2 cm, but I was sick of not knowing. My midwife had an appointment so she said she couldn't be there until 4:30pm. She also told me to stop walking because it sounded like I was wearing myself out trying to go into labor. So, for two hours, I napped and just relaxed. 

My midwife arrived and told me that it seemed like I was in pre-labor, but that it was normal to be in pre-labor for quite awhile with the second. 
So, then she checked me.....and all she said was, "oh wow...oh wow...you are at 7-8 cm!" 
I was shocked! I didn't even think I was in labor and now I was about to go through transition! 

A short time after that, my water broke. they immediately aired up the birthing tub, and I had the little guy at 6:17pm in our living room! Can you imagine if my midwife had not have come when she did?! I am so thankful! Everything flew by that last hour and a half. I pushed from 6:13pm to 6:17pm! 
right when he arrived

I look back on those 11 long overdue days and realize how beneficial they were. God was strengthening my faith and trust in Him to a new level. He kept saying to me over and over, "Is anything too hard for me?" 

I wish I could put into words how much I love this little guy. Children are such a blessing from the Lord and I am beyond humbled to be a mother of two kiddos.
Peter weighing Gresham in at 8lbs 4oz
He measured 20 1/4 inches long.
Naomi meeting her little brother for the first time.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Peter and Joy. Once again, a successful birth. So happy for you guys! I really believe the way these babies enter the world is so important and really affects them. Thanks to his mommy, sounds like Gresham entered the world in a wonderful way.I've never had a medicated labor, but from the people who have had both, I've heard that there's nothing like the natural high you feel with natural labor. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYYYYY!! You are awesome Joy & Im so proud to call you my friend! So great to have "like minded" people in my life! Love you!

    ReplyDelete